Labor Aid: The Only Electrolyte Drink You’ll Ever Have Again
When I was reading up on what I needed for my homebirth, I found out that it’s actually recommended for you to eat and drink while you’re in labor. This crazy notion goes against everything that I’d ever heard about birthing in the hospital, but the logic behind it made sense: birth is a marathon, you will need energy and nourishment!
While I was making my prep list for my birth, a drink called Labor-Aid came onto my radar. It’s basically your own Gatorade but without all the sugar, dyes, and added junk. I was hesitant to try it because it sounded too basic to taste good.
Related post: The Ultimate List of Supplies for a Homebirth
I was so very wrong. It was delicious! I drank it in the weeks leading up to my birth as well. I made mine with half coconut water and half red raspberry leaf tea for taste, and for all of the added benefits from the tea in the last weeks of my pregnancy.
I drank at least one mason jar of this daily leading up to birth, and while I was in labor I went through easily 2 full 32 oz. mason jars. It really helped me get through labor while staying hydrated and nourished.
And as an added bonus, I make it when my kids are feeling sick. We call it “lemonade” for the boys, and they absolutely love it. Even my husband loves this recipe!
Just as importantly, it’s a really easy recipe and it’s so very versatile and customizable!
(Side note: I am NOT a medical professional and this is not medical advice. Always consult a doctor if you have questions about anything!)
What you’ll need:
- 1 32oz. mason jar with lid
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 c. raw honey (more or less depending on sweetness preference)
- 1/2 tsp. powdered magnesium calcium supplement (optional)
- A pinch of sea salt (this one is my favorite)
- Your choice of filtered water, coconut water, or red raspberry tea (start with the water and see how you like it before adding additional flavors. Red raspberry leaf tea has additional benefits in pregnancy and postpartum. Here’s a good read on additional information. )
Here’s what you’ll do:
- (If you will be using the red raspberry leaf tea, prepare it at double-strength and add the honey so that it can dissolve. If no using tea, skip this step.)
- Fill mason jar half-way with the water
- Add the juice of the lemon, honey, magnesium, and salt to the mason jar
- Close the lid and shake like crazy
- Shake and stir until the honey is dissolved
- Fill the rest of the way with water and refrigerate
You can substitute coconut water for regular water for added nutritional benefits that you can read about here.
I love this drink! I make it when I’m just looking for something other than plain water to drink. It is absolutely delicious. You can edit this recipe to your own tastes and preferences by adding more or less lemon, honey or salt.
Have you ever made your own Labor Aid electrolyte drink?
Get the FREE Money Saving Calendar!
Money troubles got you down? Don't know where to start to fix it?! Constantly overwhelmed by money!??!?
Get daily tips to fix your finances in less than 10 minutes each day!