50 Date Night Questions for Your Spouse
I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve heard that “you need to date your spouse.” And it’s true! I learned that the hard way recently.
It’s hard to break out of the everyday questions like “did you take the trash out” and get into the deep questions to learn what makes your spouse “tick.” And frankly, sometimes there are questions that are touchy subjects, and you don’t know why.
That’s why dating your spouse is so important. I learn new things about my husband every time I think of a new question to ask him. It brings us closer together: he’s more vulnerable with me, and I understand him better because of it.
Before you go jumping into the meaty questions to get to know your spouse better, you need to know that there are some ground rules. Will you be out on a date in a public place when you talk? Or are these things that are best discussed in private?
Our date night question ground rules:
- No asking questions during a fight.
- Leave all anger out of the conversations.
- Speak in private.
- No children around.
- No “heavy” questions after a fight.
- Respect the other person’s boundaries; if they don’t want to speak about a subject, then move on and don’t press the issue.
- Have fun! Remember that this is to get to know your spouse and grow closer to them, not to create anger and resentment.
What do you say when you feel like you know everything?
Here are a few questions that I found to be fun and not too deep for everyday conversation.
- What is your favorite food?
- What would you consider “comfort food?”
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What is your favorite kind of cake?
- What is your favorite kind of ice cream?
- If you could only eat one kind of food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your favorite color?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What kinds of gifts do you like?
- What is your favorite books of the Bible?
- What is your favorite Bible verse?
- What is your favorite song in church?
- What is your favorite song ever?
- What is your favorite type of music?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is your favorite holiday tradition?
- What is your favorite season?
- Who is your favorite relative?
- Who is your least favorite relative?
- What is your favorite memory from childhood?
- What do you look forward to the most as you get older?
- How much sleep do you need?
- What do you consider to be your best skills?
- How can that love be shown? (Not sure? Take the Love Languages Quiz.)
- What do you enjoy doing with me?
- How much time would be good for us to spend together each day?
- What is the funniest thing our child has done?
- What’s your funniest, embarrassing moment?
- Have you ever met a celebrity?
- What would be your ideal way to spend a normal evening?
- If you could go on vacation for one week anywhere in the world regardless of cost, where would it be?
- What’s the funniest thing you’ve ever seen one of your friends do?
- What’s your favorite sport?
- What is the sports team you hate the most?
- What’s your favorite team?
- What’s the funniest movie you’ve ever seen?
- What type of humor do you enjoy the most?
- What is your spouse’s favorite cologne or perfume?
- What’s your favorite animal?
- What is your least favorite animal?
- Are you a cat person or a dog person?
- What would be your prefect name for a pet?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- Would you rather go to the city, mountains, lake, or ocean for a mini-vacation?
- Would you rather dress up or dress down?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- What is your favorite flower?
- What would your dream house look like?
- Would you rather live in the middle of the city, suburbs, or country?
- What’s your favorite guilty pleasure?
I know there are a million more questions to ask your spouse, but I like to keep things light! Getting too deep can sometimes illicit heavy responses or bring up unhappy memories.
Keep things light and remember that the goal here is to learn more about your spouse and grow closer as a couple. Dating your spouse is a great way to stay strong in your marriage.
What are your favorite questions to ask your spouse?
Get the FREE Money Saving Calendar!
Money troubles got you down? Don't know where to start to fix it?! Constantly overwhelmed by money!??!?
Get daily tips to fix your finances in less than 10 minutes each day!