How to Start a Profitable Blog the Right Way
Are you ready to start a blog but you don’t want to waste your time spinning your wheels and getting nowhere? I know the feeling! When I started my blog in August 2015, I had no idea how to start a profitable blog the right way.
I was just kinda searching Pinterest aimlessly trying to see what worked. And while it took me to some amazing places, I still felt like I was spinning my wheels.
Ready for some cliches? Blogging has changed my life. It really has.
It’s given me a lot of purpose and drive in my life that I really needed. Thanks to blogging (and the class that got me here – Elite Blog Academy), I now have another full-time income to add to my family. I never thought that it would be possible, but less than 15 months after I first launched my blog (as in, I’d never written a post before), I made $3,292 in one month. Less than 18 months after I started getting serious about blogging, I made $12,007 in one month!
How To Start A Blog FREE Email Course
In this free course, I show you how to create a blog easily, from the technical side (it’s easy – trust me!) all the way to earning your first income and attracting readers. Join now!
Blogging has allowed me to live what I think is a dream life. I get to stay home with my children, homeschool them, and still live a full life with my family without needing to worry about the 9-5 job hassles.
My earning potential is basically unlimited, I control all of my hours and everything surrounding my day, and I just truly love what I do. I mean, I get paid to blabber on and on about what I love! What’s not to love about that!?
And here’s my favorite part: it’s so cheap to start!
You can start a real profitable blog for just a few dollars a month!
I worked with Bluehost to get you the best pricing and deal on the hosting. Seriously, that’s how much I want you to start your own blog! You’ll also get a free blog domain through my link too. Act quick, though, because I’m not sure how long these low prices will last!
How to start a profitable blog the right way.
Before we can get to the making money, you will need to spend money to get started. But this is very important! If you ever want to start a profitable blog the right way, you’ll need to spend a little bit of money.
Can’t I just save money by using Blogger/Blogspot/Wordpress for free?
You may be thinking, “I can just start on Blogger for a free.” NO! Nuh-uh! NO WAY! Don’t do it! There are so many reasons for why a Blogger/Blogspot/free WordPress blog is a really bad idea.
But here’s the biggest reason:
If you are interested in ever making money off your blog at all, then paying for your hosting is a MUST. You’re not saving money by using Blogger or Blogspot, you might even wind up costing yourself money.
Making money on Blogger or any other free blogging platform (even with a free WordPress account) is very difficult. But most of the time, you can’t make any money at all from using a free blog.
Most advertisers and companies will run away the second that they see that you run your site on Blogger websites because they don’t view them as professional. With a self-hosted WordPress blog from Bluehost, you can be sure that you’re starting your blog the right way to help you make the most money possible.
The good news:
So why WordPress?
Think of your favorite blog. They use WordPress.
Almost every blog (like 99.9999999% of blogs) uses WordPress. And for good reason! It’s easy to use, easy to navigate, very straightforward, and just fantastic to use.
There aren’t many (if any! I don’t think I’ve ever found any) dissenting opinions of WordPress. It’s the industry standard for blogging for a reason.
Worst case scenario…
Let’s say you decided to start a blog with Blogger and you decide you want to make money blogging. You’ll need to pay someone to move your site for you (because trust me, that’s a headache you DON’T want). So now it’s costing you more money AND it’s a headache. Just not worth it at all.
Start off on the right foot and just start with WordPress.
Starting with the best.
So you’re ready to get your WordPress.org blog started! Go you!
Here’s how to start a profitable blog the right way. You will need to pay for hosting so that you can have a real site that you own.
Now, I’m a cheapskate to my core, I’m going to share with you the best site to start with when you’re a new blogger with very little money and very little computer knowledge. The best hosting site to use to start a profitable blog the right way is with Bluehost.
I started off using Bluehost and they were a Godsend! I had no idea what I was doing, I asked 1,000 dumb questions to their tech people in 24 hours (more than once!), and they still helped me out.
Choosing Bluehost for hosting was a no-brainer. They charge $2.95/month (or less if you catch their sales!) and their one-click WordPress set-up is the best.
If you’re looking to start a blog without needing to fork over tons of money, then choosing Bluehost for your hosting needs may be your answer. Bluehost is a great web host and I personally have had a great experience with them.
With Bluehost, you can start your own blog with them for as low as $2.95 a month (this low price is only through my link)! Also, if you sign up using my link, then you’ll get your domain for free if you purchase a 12 month or longer hosting plan!
There are many reasons for why you may want to choose Bluehost for your WordPress blog and I honestly believe they are one of the best web hosting providers.
Here’s why I love Bluehost for a newbie blogger’s first host:
- It’s SO easy to use. Anyone can create a WordPress blog easily with their one-click WordPress installation.
- Bluehost web hosting offers 24/7 technical support. (Even at 2am on a holiday weekend when you think your site crashed when it was a technical problem on your end and not theirs… cough cough… I know this from personal experience!)
- Bluehost is extremely affordable. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $2.95 per month.
- You will get a FREE blog domain.
- WordPress through Bluehost is FREE.
- Bluehost offers a money-back guarantee in case you decide that it isn’t for you. Even if you’re 6 months into your contract and you decide you want to go with a different host, you can get your prorated money back.
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, then you will want to be self-hosted. This means your blog name is “YourBlog.com” and not “YourBlog.Wordpress.com.”
- Your first impression will look much more professional to readers, companies, and everyone else who comes across your blog if you are self-hosted on Bluehost than being on a free blog platform.
If you sign up for Bluehost, but you are confused for any reason at all, you can always send me an email and I can help you out as much as I can! But also don’t be afraid to use Bluehost’s amazing chat option and their customer service. They’ll probably be more helpful to you than I am. But still, feel free to email me if you’d like some help!
Some general tips for how to navigate WordPress:
- Your WordPress login info will be different from your Bluehost info. But both are important! You’ll receive emails with your username and password for both accounts. You’ll want to save them or write them down for safekeeping.
- Once you’re logged into WordPress, you can create new posts by clicking on “Posts” on the left-hand side when you are logged in. If you want to add a page, simply click on “Page.”
- “Posts” are different than “Pages.” “Posts” are things like what you’re reading now, and “Pages” are things like your “About Me” page.
- If you want to add an image, click on “Media” on the left-hand side, and click “Upload Media.” You can also do this from the individual posts right below the Title bar.
- You can install “plug-ins” for practically anything. Just hover over the “plug-ins” tab on the left-hand side of the menu and click “add new.”
- You can go to “Appearance,” then click “Widgets” in order to add items to your sidebar, footer, and header.
- If you are looking for a way to send newsletters or emails to your readers, I recommend ConvertKit. It creates subscription boxes and landing pages so easily and beautifully.
- If you are looking into getting a great design for your blog, Genesis is the way to go. Genesis is used on my blog, and I highly recommend it. It’s user-friendly and very customizable.
- There are free themes through WordPress you can use, too. Just go to “Appearance” on the left-hand side when you are logged into your WordPress website and click on “Themes,” then activate whichever one you are interested in testing out. By doing this, you can start designing your website easily! Another option would be to buy a premade blog design. I know a lot of bloggers who swear by Restored 316 Designs for their affordable and beautiful premade designs. I used Blogelina to hand-make my site design. She was incredibly affordable and super helpful!
Now, go and start that blog! Don’t let fear stop you, just go for it!
What do you want to blog about?
Join the FREE 10 Day Side Hustles That Work Challenge!
Here's my challenge to you:
Can you pay for your grocery bill with your side hustle?
Take the challenge!
(PS - NONE of them have to do with sales!)
Bring in extra income without having to spend a penny. I want to share with you the side hustles that I love that help my family every month.